Smith Machine Squat
- Set the bar in the racks at the required height. Select the appropriate weight. Step under the bar and place it on your shoulders (slightly below the neck).
- Hold the bar with both hands. Palms are facing forward. Lift the bar off the racks, by pushing with your legs off the floor and at the same time straightening your torso.
- Position your feet shoulder-width apart with the toes slightly pointed out. Keep your head up and your lower back arched. This will be your starting position.
- Exhaling, begin to slowly lower your torso down holding the bar by bending the knees as you maintain the head up. Continue moving down until the angle between the thighs and the calves becomes less than 90-degrees. If you perform the exercise correctly, the knees should make an imaginary straight line with the toes that is perpendicular to the torso line.
- Exhaling, raise your torso as you straighten the legs by pushing off the floor and going back to the starting position.
- Perform for the required amount of repetitions.
Precautions: Make sure that your back is arched throughout the entire exercise. Otherwise, you can injure your back. In case of doubt about chosen weight, use less rather than more. You may use wrist wraps.