Standing Dumbbell Overhead Press
- Pick up the dumbbells and stand with your feet shoulder-width apart. Lift the dumbbells up in one level with earlobes, while the elbow forms 90-degree angle. Statically flex you abs, staring ahead. This is your starting position.
- When performing, keep your feet tightly on the floor and don’t swing the core.
- Inhale and begin to lift the dumbbells and extend your elbows, exhaling as you do so. Bring the dumbbells over your head (not hitting them together), hold contracted position for count of 1–2, then in slow and controlled movement return the dumbbells into the starting position.
Precautions: If you experience problems with your lower back, perform the exercise while sitting.
- Breathing technique: Inhale while lowering the dumbbells down, exhale on effort (unbending your arms).
- Perform the movement in slow and controlled manner, not lowering the dumbbells sharply.
- In top point, perform peak contraction, but don’t hold in this position.
- Repeat the exercise 8 times, performing 3–4 rounds.